Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Whole World is in Amman


Amman, Jordan

My dear readers, I do not yet have magnificent photos of monuments or museums for you. Alas, my host brother is struck with the double plagues of illness and final exams, and as the family is hesitant to release me on the city alone, my explorations have been very local. What I do have: stories of people.

First of all: my family. I have been adopted not by one family but by a vast network of aunts and grandparents and cousins. As always, I am bowled over by Arab hospitality. I am showered with tea and sweets and whenever I manage to bumble something in Arabic I am the subject of great delight. My family is very progressive – many of them have studied in America. My host grandfather likes to tell off-color jokes and stories from his time in the States. When I said I was studying politics he delightedly exclaimed “ah! The study of bullshit!” and another time regaled me with the tale of his encounter with a stripper in Miami. I am growing quite fond of him. My life drifts between the house of my immediate family and the grandparent's, but there is little distinction between the two. Not a day goes by without one visiting the other, the family wanders in and out of each others homes as if they were separate wings on a single house. The view into the family is fascinating. Today I witnessed the now global ritual of trying to explain facebook to a dubious grandmother.

The other foreigners I meet are adventures in themselves, with nationalities as jumbled as my Arabic. The other day I shared a taxi with a Chinese girl doing an internship here for her masters degree in New York. At school I met several Turkish girls learning Arabic for their study of the Koran, who spoke to me in perfect English after having lived in America for 8 years. The maid, Fatima, is from Shri Lanka, and my teacher is Palestinian. The whole world is in Amman.

This weekend I hope to explore the old parts of the city! (Weekends here are Friday and Saturday) I shall share my adventures when I return to school. I am glad to hear that people are enjoying my blog! I hope it stays amusing!

2 comments:

  1. I am interested to hear how Amman with its population of 3 million and rapid growth rate compares with other international cities you have been in. "Amman is considered one of the richest and most Western-oriented cities in the Middle East," according to Wikipedia. Be sure your English speaking family talks to you in Arabic occasionally! You do come across a lot of people who speak English on your travels

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog Anna, I look forward to the photos but your words as always paint a vivid picture

    ReplyDelete