January 4th, 2011
Phnom Pehn, Cambodia
Happy New Year everyone! We celebrated by watching fireworks and dancing on the riverfront. It was a great way to bring in the New Year! I hope everyone else had a great night as well.
To celebrate the beginning of another great year, I shall provide you with a list of some of my favorite Dorthy moments from the trip so far. These are from Hong Kong, Brunei and Cambodia! Enjoy!
You know you’re not in America when:
- The convince store sells ‘Instant Jellyfish’
- A sign on the door reads ‘These Door Handles are Disinfected 8 times a day’.
- The signs around the grocery store warn you to ‘Maintain safe distance from monkeys’
- The airline cheerfully informs you that the country you are entering will execute you for drug smuggling.
- The favorite local delicacy involves no chewing. And it’s not a soup.
- The list of things it is illegal to bring across the border include ‘boutique sarongs’
- The mall advertises it’self as the proud home of the country’s only McDonalds
- The maximum occupancy of a motobike is five.
- A motobike is considered a logical means of transport for: mattresses (up to five at a time), chickens, pigs, large sheets of glass.
- Adult men sing ‘Baby’ by Justin Beiber with no apparent sense of shame.